Monday, October 15, 2012

The Grove

I grew up in a house that was directly across from a mountain.  I mean directly across.  If I were to talk out of my front door and keep going, I would end up going vertically after crossing the road.  This caused many hours and days hiking, digging trenches, building swings, catching/running away from snakes, or, depending on the season, sledding.

But my favorite part about the mountain while I was growing up was The Grove.  It was just seven houses south, and far enough up the hill that you felt adventurous, but close enough that you never felt vulnerable.  I was just sure I was the only one to ever discover this place, and I considered it my own.  The dozen or so trees provided shade from the beating sun, and families of birds and squirrels .  There were several large rocks and stumps, perfect for resting on, and the different shapes and sizes of trees accounted for all sorts of imaginary appliances.

A little girl could truly be a princess in The Grove.  Swinging around trees, leaping on boughs, The shadowy, mysterious leaves provided drama, romance, or terror, depending on the need for a particular story.  Every imaginative child needs a grove.

No comments:

Post a Comment