Sunday, October 14, 2012

Law and Order

I had a love/hate relationship with watching Law and Order with my dad. On the one hand, I loved spending time with my dad, even if it was just sitting next to him watching a show.  I loved feeling smart and mature and like I was on the same page as everybody else.  On the other hand, I hated Law and Order.  Hated it.  It was gruesome, it was graphic, and it disturbed me deeply.  I had nightmares.  I would worry and worry and worry that I would be raped, or murdered, or kidnapped, or caught in some sort of hostage situation. 
 But it’s what my dad liked to watch.  Because he was a lawyer, I assumed that’s what he went to go do every day.  That wasn’t true. My dad works with white collar crime, pawnzie schemes and fraud, returning funds to stockholders.  But all I knew was he worked with bad people, and for some reason everyone, bad and, well, less-bad, didn’t like him. He couldn’t give them what they wanted. So when he came home, I pretended I wanted to watch law and order.  
Eventually I stopped watching. I just couldn’t take it anymore.  And I don’t know how it happened, but we started watching TV together again, only this time the show was Jeopardy.  It was also a love/hate relationship.  I loved Jeopardy.  I hated when I wasn’t watching jeopardy.  My dad and I, we’re both smart. We both hate the teen tournament, and we both understand how to wager in final jeopardy. It’s something we truly, legitimately had in common.

No comments:

Post a Comment