Thursday, October 18, 2012

Classy

My hometown started buzzing when the city announced the building of an In-n-Out burger in our own humble surroundings.  This meant different things for different people, but the biggest effect I saw was the classification (classy-fication) of the nearby McDonalds.

I was a fan of this McDonalds from the beginning.  I love Big Macs.  I love them.  And I love french fries. And I love orange soda.  That is what I got every time I went.  But I worried for my beloved McDonalds, because the In-N-Out was being built directly adjacent.  I hadn't been to In-N-Out very often, but the hype was insane.  Apparently it was the best of the best of the best.  And the old, slightly ghetto McDonalds just could keep up.

But Mickey D didn't go down without a fight.  Before the In-N-Out finished construction, McDonalds did some construction of its own.  The one awkwardly positioned drive-thru lane was replaced with two spacious lanes, surrounded by rock formations and a flowing waterfall.  Parking nearly doubled, and there was now an outdoor patio for consumers to eat under.

Inside, there were sliding glass doors, and bathrooms with automatic everythings.  The floor was beautifully tiled, and there was mod artwork on the walls.  There was yet another waterfall inside, this one a clear glass pane with water streaming down on both sides, the classic "M" arc etched on the opaque divider.  One corner of the cafe-esque restaurant had a fireplace, with a few soft benches surrounding a circular table.  There was a counter for those wishing to use the internet while they dined.  On the opposite side lived the most luxurious playground a child could imagine--including a in-ground piano that played melodies when jumped on.

Occasionally I will crave a Big Mac.  I die a little inside when I walk into the Provo McDonalds.  Surely that place cannot be within the same Franchise as the castle that awaits me back home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment